Week 9 started with painting, painting and more painting.
We painted cabinet doors, ceilings, walls.
We also got paint samples for the outside of the mobile home and my She-Shed.
Shane was very busy finishing up the bathroom. Shower was grouted and floor tile went down.
Then we had a rainy day, so we went to check out Campbell’s Covered Bridge.
We wrapped up the week getting grating quotes since everytime it rains, it was running in all the wrong directions, towards the house, the garage. We hired an awesome company that did amazing work and we ordered another bin to get rid of trash.
The best part….. our grating contractors used their equipment to load it which saved me a bunch of time.
They also cleaned out the overgrown garden area so I could get ready to start planting.
Meantime, I was learning to do subfloors.
Week 10: The grating was done and my garden area was ready.
Then more rain and with all the new grating, everything was a muddy mess. Planting rye seed to grow some grass and help our new slopes for water drainage not just wash away, became a priority.
I prepped the soil, planted and covered the seeds with hay so the birds and guinea hens would not eat the seed to give it a chance to grow.
Next week I start on the vegetable garden and Shane will begin repairing the fencing.
Week 4 began with a date day to explore Greenville and to pull permits for the new service panel.
While my husband was busy working on the bathroom in the mobile home, I got busy doing demo in the pantry in the main house to get ready for the new location for the service panel.
And then my fun demo project took a turn.
I found severe damage and rot to the studs supporting the walls and had to go deliver the bad news to my husband.
He came down and took out the floor and the news was even worse.
How that corner of the house was standing, we have no idea. The bathtub in the adjoining room is falling through the floor. Studs were so rotted they were not touching the ground and support joists were crumbling in my husband’s hands.
We got busy cutting wood and my husband was able to save that corner of the house. He attached new studs to the old ones, replaced floor joists, added moisture barrier and replaced the subfloors.
The one highlight of the week is I did find some tongue and groove wood in the kitchen walls.
And the new service panel did make it’s way into it’s new location.
Week 2 we had some rainy days so we decided to get started on the Mobile Home.
I went through and pictures of where we were starting.
Then we began demo. Removing carpets and wall panel’s to see how much damage was beneath.
It was more than we anticipated but it also made us even more determined to give this home some love and bring it back.
After that, it was back to finish the garage tear down for the new concrete slab to come in for the new garage. This time it only took 1 pull with truck to bring it down after all our prep work we did before.
Next week, setting up an RV to live in, the concrete gets poured and a new electrical panel for the main house.
Hello all, here is an update on our 1st week renovating our property in South Carolina.
Our very 1st day, my husband got stuck in the mud pulling our work trailer onto the property with our tools in it. After an hour of trying to get out, we called a tow company and the driver was able to attach a chain and pull out the trailer and truck. He had to do it from the street to avoid getting stuck himself.
We were staying near by at an AirBnB on a farm so we were able to clean and check out the wiring! Oh what we found!
Lot’s of car wiring, muliple splices, hot wires with no ground. Some very creative and dangerous solutions.
Then we moved on to tearing down the carport. We have a new concrete slab being poured and a new garage coming so getting prepared was a priority.
It took 5 attempts to pull it down with the truck and a chain but we finally got it down.
Then we took it apart and saved the wood to be reused on other projects or for firewood in the fire pit. Unfortunately we could not save any of the metal roofing. It was thin and had large nails hammered in so there were large holes after we took it off.
To wrap up the week, we started taking down the garage. We cleared out the inside and took the walls down. Next will be the roof and studs.
As we dig into this house, we are finding lots of eletrical issues and we will need to do a full rewire an updated eletrical panel to make this house safe. Luckily, my husband is a talented electrician and has already started disconnecting unsafe wiring he has found.